Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tour of Lakes --- very needed day off work!

The last two weeks have been hard ones  for me at work; I was sick of the people and the long hours and was nearly ready to quit. I had totally forgotten that the Tour of the Lakes Swim was on Saturday. When Gordon emailed me on Wednesday asking me if I was still joining the Tour of the Lakes, I thought, "Hell yeah! Anything to get me away from work!" I didn't realize that I was scheduled for another Saturday of work. At that point I didn't care. I got my boss to take half the day and told him to figure out the rest of the day, because I was going to be gone.

I woke up at 4:00 a.m. so I could meet on time at 5:30. I wasn't sure exactly how everything was going to work until I got in the van with everyone and heard them all talking about it. I only knew one person in the initial group of 8 people, so it was really fun to get to know some people who have a similar interest with me, as well as people who had nothing to do with my job. We had a big van so we could all ride together, and the van was decorated with the names of the 9 participants and with "Tour of the Lakes" and each lake written on the other side. As we completed each lake we would cross it out on the window.

 We each were going to swim 1 mile in 8 different lakes in 1 day.  Josh, who set the whole things up said that we wanted to try and keep it about half an hour in each of the lakes, so head out for 15 minutes, and then we  would come back for fifteen minutes. There was a variety of different speeds, so not everyone went the same distance, but really we were there to have fun and meet new friends, so that didn't matter. I wanted to make sure I got a full mile in each of the lakes. Gordon and Josh were nearly the same speed as I am, so it was good to have them to pace me.

We started a Causey Reservoir (lake 1) around 6:30 in the morning. It was chilly out, so the water didn't feel to cold. We got in the water and headed out to the cliff, where we were going to start the whole thing off with cliff jumping. Josh, who set the whole thing up pointed us in the direction to swim. The sun was just rising, and the water was like glass; it was gorgeous!  Half an hour drive later, we came to Pineview Reservoir (lake 2). The water here was really warm, and even though a few clouds had shown up, the water was still really calm. I have been swimming here for the last 6 weeks, so compared to the other lakes, this felt like home. The third lake we headed to was East Canyon (lake 3), which I had never heard of before. We walked down a steep hill and through some mud to get to the water. By now it was cloudy and getting a little breezy outside; I was cold just in the air, so getting in the water was cold. The water looked pretty murky to me, but I was told there were a couple that would be worse. Just as we finished the mile, it started to rain. I love swimming in the rain! We drove about 45 minutes to reach the next Echo Reservoir (lake 4), which looked about empty. It was a muddy 100 yards or so before it was even deep enough to swim, and then it was so muddy that you couldn't see anything. I kept finding myself swimming with my eyes closed, and not even spotting. I was surprised at how straight I was going despite that. We had a lunch break in Coalville. I thought the best part of that was getting to warm up as I dried off a bit. We then headed to Rockport Reservoir (lake 5), where Goody came to join us as well. It was super windy by now and the water was crazy choppy and there were boats everywhere. It was wavy enough that we went 16 or 17 minutes out and 13 to 14 minutes back to get our mile. I've decided I think the waves are pretty fun to swim into and swim with; it's when they are sideways to me that I hate them. I had a blast a Rockport. Jordanelle Reservoir (lake 6) was the next lake, and the hardest lake for me. I was freezing getting in the water and I just couldn't get my arms going as fast as I wanted too. The swim in that lake was not particularly fun for me. Next, we headed to Deer Creek Reservoir (lake 7). I felt much better here; it was like I got my 2nd wind. I was able to keep up with Gordon the whole way out.  I had to stop of a couple seconds on the way back, so I could fix my goggles, so I was behind then, but I least I stayed the same distance behind and didn't continue to get further behind. The last stop was Utah Lake (lake 8). The sun was finally out again, but it was windy and the water was even more choppy than Rockport. The waves were too big to see the buoys I was supposed to be spotting, so I just headed straight out and straight back for half a mile. The water here was really murky as well. It was so weird, if you went more than 6 to 8 inches under the water everything would to pitch black, because no light could get through the water. We finished the last lake around 6:30 p.m. (I think...).

After pictures and changing we all went to dinner together. I love talking to people who don't think I'm weird or crazy for all of my swimming challenges, and for how much I love swimming. It is nice to be with people who actually understand what I am talking about and appreciate it when I talk about open water swimming or marathon swimming. This was a great day and needed break from work. It was totally worth having my boss annoyed at me for a couple of days! What could be better than spending a whole day swimming!? I felt great after! It was another good day of training for Catalina.

No comments:

Post a Comment