Sunday, December 1, 2013

School Finals, Not Conducive to Long Workouts

I have been really frustrated the last two weeks. This was when I really wanted to crank all my workouts up to a faster speed and add another thousand or so yards to my daily swimming. Unfortunately that has not been able to happen yet. With my last semester of college classes winding down I have been spending all of my time finishing up school work, writing papers, designing lesson plans, and studying. This leaves me little time to swim. My intended workout for the Thanksgiving week was to swim at 7,500 yards on Wednesday, 9,000 yards on Friday, and 7,000 yards on Saturday; as well as my shorter workouts earlier in the week. To my disappointment I was only able to swim 4,000 yards on Wednesday and 3,000 yards on Friday. I didn't even make it in the water on Saturday. Instead I have done five to nine hours of homework each day this week. I am free of homework after this coming Thursday. I will really have to step up my swimming as soon as I am done with this blasted school work.

On another note, I don't get to swim in cold water nearly as often as I would like too, because my schedule does not match the other "ice swimmers" in my areas schedules very well. I do however, try and get used to the cold in other ways such as almost never wearing a coat, keeping my house cold, and always taking cold showers. I have to say, I really enjoy cold water (to a certain point) now. However, this last week I discovered just how quickly this tolerance to cold can vanish. I was invited to go to some hot springs, and even though I stayed in the coldest pool and complained that the 99 degree water was burning me; I just couldn't handle it, my cold tolerance has already gone down just after that one time in the hot springs. My cold shower that generally feels pleasant felt awful the other day. Lesson learned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment