Saturday, February 1, 2014

Starting my Go the Distance Challenge

I decided to log my swimming for the Go the Distance challenge this year. I would really like to get 70 to 75 miles each month, but I know that the couple months while I am doing my student teaching and getting ready to graduate college I would not have quite the needed time to do that. Instead I decided to get at least 50 miles for those four months. January through April would I will have to do a little less, then make up for it later.

I woke up on Thursday, January 30th realizing that I still had 13 miles to swim to get to my 50 miles and I only had two days left to do so. I had just done a long sprint workout on Wednesday, so I was due for a distance workout. I decided to just do a long non-stop swim on Thursday night. I would do as much of it as I could before the pool closed, then I would finish the rest after it was closed. The pool I swim in is yards one direction and meters the other. We set up in yards during public swim, but after we close I can leave one of the mats off and swim meters. I love it-- for the most part. Occasionally weird shadows are cast by the mats covering two thirds of the pool and I will startle myself, forgetting that I am not in open water and that there is nothing in the pool with me. I jumped twice tonight while swimming, wondering what had just swam past me.

The following is what I did:
8,500 yards non-stop from. 7:20 p.m. to 9:20 p.m.
10 min break (while mats were pulled and lights turned off)
4,500 meters non-stop from 9:30 p.m. to 10:45 p.m.
100 yards cool-down alt back/breast

Total= 7.62 miles
The longest pool swim I have ever done.

Unfortunately I did't quite make my 50 mile goal for the month. Now I am playing catch-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment